The hormones in your body control essential functions such as reproduction and food metabolism. When your hormones are working in harmony, you hardly notice them. However, when they are imbalanced, your body will send various signals to alert you of any problems.
Attribution - Abd allah Foteih via Flickr
Quite simply, hormones act as messengers in your bloodstream. They are transported through your blood to various organs in your body. When hormones arrive at their destination, they help the organs and tissues function properly.
It is quite normal for your hormones to fluctuate especially before or during your menstrual cycle, puberty, menopause and perimenopause. In some instances, external factors such as toxins and an improper diet can cause your hormones to become imbalanced. Here are a few signs that your hormones have become imbalanced.
Weight gain Belly fat Loss of muscle mass Fatigue Low sex drive Insomnia Cravings Poor digestion Night sweats Mood swings
If you have been diagnosed as having imbalanced hormones, it is understandable for you to be concerned. After all, you may think the only way for you to treat this condition is with synthetic hormones and prescription drugs.
Natural Hormone Remedies
The good news is there are other alternatives that are natural and safe for your body. These 8 natural and healthy remedies can restore the hormonal balance within your body.
Attribution - Phu Thinh Co via Flickr
1. Add coconut oil to your diet. When it comes to your diet, fat is not your enemy. In fact, there are good fats such as coconut oil that can keep your hormones in check. Not only can adding coconut oil to your diet your reduce your weight, it can act as a building block for your hormones.
2. Eat avocados. This 'super fruit' is full of healthy fats that fight inflammation and prevent the onset of diabetes. Avocados contain fatty acids that prevent your body from absorbing excess estrogen.
3. Participate in light exercise each day. Daily exercise is important for your body because it increases movement in your lymphatic system. This movement enables your body to remove toxins and chemicals from your system that contribute to hormonal imbalances. Light activities such as yoga, swimming, strength training with small weights and walking are more beneficial than massive amounts of cardio.
Attribution - Timothy Krause via Flickr
4. Get the proper amount of rest. If you are one of those people who pride themselves on getting as little sleep as possible, it is time for you to rethink that strategy. Sleep is one of the healthiest gifts you can give to your body. Lack of sleep can cause irritability, inability to focus and hormonal imbalances.
5. Eat plenty of Omega 3 fats. If you eat any type of processed foods, you are consuming unhealthy fats that are disrupting your hormones. The source of these unhealthy fats includes canola oil, peanut oil, margarine and shortening. Replace these inflammatory oils with olive oil, coconut oil and organic butter. You should be mindful that oil is not your enemy. Bad oils are your enemies.
6. Incorporate adaptogen herbs into your diet. These herbs include Asian ginseng, ashwagandha, dong quai and rhodiola. The benefits of incorporating adaptogen herbs into your diet are stabilisation of your blood sugar, improvement in your thyroid function and adrenal gland support.
7. Eliminate any toxins from your beauty products or home environment. From your cosmetics to your cleaning supplies, there are many things you come in contact with each day that can disrupt your hormones. One thing you can do is use glass bottles instead of plastic bottles. You should use stainless steel and glass cookware instead of Teflon pans.
Attribution - Keita Kuroki via Flickr
8. Reduce your caffeine intake. As much as you may enjoy your daily latte, you may have to reduce the amount of caffeinated beverages that you drink. Not only is caffeine found in coffee, it is also found in tea, soda, chocolate, candy and cocoa.
Hormonal imbalances do not have to diminish your quality of life. By implementing these natural remedies, you can balance your hormones safely.