Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - we all know that. But do we all ensure that we make the most of breakfast? Anyone else just have "nothing with a side of coffee" (to quote a friend of mine)?
A traditional cooked breakfast can be very unhealthy - bacon, eggs, sausages all fried up in heaps of oil, served on thick cut toast just dripping in butter - doesn't really sound like a great way to start the day!
Here's my healthier cooked breakfast - quick and easy, it includes an extra serve of vegies to get your day off to a flying start.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10minutes
Serves: 1 adult and 2 vultures who all of a sudden decide that they would like some eggs after all!
Ingredients: 1 can of baked beans
2 mushrooms chopped
1 handful of kale chopped
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 handful of olives
3 slices of tomato
5 or so basil leaves
1) Pop the baked beans into a saucepan and cook on low heat until done (about 5 minutes).
2) Stir fry the mushroom and kale, until softened, in a small fry pan with a little oil or butter and seasoning.
Stir fry the kale and mushrooms
3) Add the eggs.
4) Add the olives and tomato.
Ready to flip!
5) As the egg starts to set add the basil leaves and then flip or fold (however you prefer to do your omelettes).
I managed to flip my omelette without it disintegrating!
6) Serve on a plate with half of the baked beans (pop the other half aside for tomorrow's breakfast or a snack).
7) Add a little pink Himalayan rock salt or parmesan if you like.
A great way to start the day!
As always, use whatever vegies and herbs you like or that are growing in your garden. Serve with toast and avocado if you feel that you need a bigger meal.