When you are short on time this cake mix is the easiest to make and tasty too. It's my mum's recipe and so easy to remember, no recipe book required - its versatile too.
Just remember "two ounces multiplied by three (2oz butter x 2oz sugar x 2oz flour) and for every two ounces add an egg" that is the basic recipe. I know that people don't use ounces anymore so the conversion is 1 oz to 28 grams.
This is my version of my mum's recipe. Hope you like it.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Baking time: 20-30 minutes
Makes: 8-10 portions
6 oz butter (can use margarine or nettlex instead)
6 oz sugar
6 oz flour
2 cinnamon sticks
Some brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Set oven to 170 degrees celcius
2. Boil orange in water with two cinnamon sticks
3. Line cake tin with butter and sprinkle with some brown sugar. Cut up an orange (glazed oranges are better then fresh) and place at the bottom of the pan in any pattern you like.
Decorated cake tin
4. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
5. Add vanilla essence
6. Add one egg at a time to the cake mix and fold in the sifted flour
7. Cut the boiled orange into pieces and blend it
8. With a spoon or spatula fold the blended orange into the cake mixture. The cake mixture should be a thick consistency - if you take a spoonful of cake mix and hold it above the bowl it should "plop" back into the cake mix, like a dollop of cream. If it doesn't plop in two seconds its too dry (so add more orange juice) and if it just runs off the spoon then its too wet (add a bit more flour)
dollop of batter? or runny mess?
9. Pour the cake mix into the cake tin and place it into the oven to bake for 20-30 minutes at 170 degrees celcius.
To test to see if the cake is ready, poke it with a skewer. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. If not, then it needs more baking.