Hoopdance is a blend of hula hooping and dancing. It can be an extremely enjoyable activity/hobby to integrate into ones life. There’s always room to improve at this activity and it is so good for you at the same time! So lets have a look at some of the reasons why hooping is so great for you…
Benefits: • Meditative state - hooping is one of those kind of moving meditations, much like activities such as fire twirling/fire dancing, yoga etc. It gives us an opportunity to detach from the mind and be truly present in the physical body.
• Strengthens core muscles - much like yoga, this activity is good for strengthening the core abdominal muscles which contribute to healthy posture, helps prevent injuries, and protects the inner organs and nervous system.
• Improves co-ordination and balance
• Improves digestion and massages internal organs - the rythmical and repetitive motion massages the digestive system, increasing digestive health, which has been shown to have a huge effect on the health of the whole body.
• Improves posture
• Nurtures creativity and self-expression
• Encourages positivity and confidence
How to learn: At first you will need to learn the basics of how to move and keep the hula hoop spinning around your body, then you can gradually learn tricks, and eventually they will start to become more natural, where you are able to turn your movements into dance.
There are many YouTube videos, tutorials and communities of hoop-dance lovers out there to teach you how to hoop-dance right from beginners. It’s important to have the correct sized and weighted hoop for you as an individual and for what kind of movement your after - this can also be easily researched and hoops can be bought online.
Potential risks: Hoop-dancing is entirely healthy for the physically well person. You can expect some bruising when you first start hooping over a new area, and like any physical activity you can sometimes pull a muscle. It’s best to warm up and stretch to avoid this happening.
• Establish a daily practice - hoop-dancing is an activity which requires patience with yourself.
• Experiment hooping to music that you enjoy including high energy music or even some more ambient melodies to help you work out your rhythm.
• Choose your clothes wisely so that the hoop doesn’t constantly slip.