"A team of 70 scientists from the U.S., China, Australia and Japan today reports having sequenced and annotated the genome of the "sacred lotus," which is believed to have a powerful genetic system that repairs genetic defects, and may hold secrets about aging successfully. The scientists sequenced more than 86 percent of the nearly 27,000 genes of the plant, Nelumbo nucifera, which is revered in China and elsewhere as a symbol of spiritual purity and longevity."
Lotus Roots. Source:Flickr:Jack
Lotus root is a delicious crunchy rhizome of lotus plant. Almost all the parts of the plant: root, young flower stalks, and seeds are used in various ways in Indian and Asian cuisine. These are a few health benefits of Lotus roots as mentioned here:
• Lotus root is a low calorie food. 100 gram of lotus root contains 74 calories.
• Lotus roots are a good source of fiber, which help reduce blood cholesterol, sugar, body weight and constipation conditions.
• 100 gram of lotus root contains 73% of daily-recommended value of vitamin C.
• Lotus roots contain moderate amount of complex B-group of vitamins.
• It is also a good source of minerals like copper, iron, zinc, magnesium, and manganese.
• Sodium to potassium ratio in lotus roots is 1:4. Potassium is important to regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
There are a number of ways you can consume lotus root - chips is one of them.
• Lotus roots ( frozen or fresh)
• Salt and pepper
• Olive oil
• If you are using fresh lotus roots, clean them properly and peel them. Lotus roots brown like apples when they are exposed to air. So, slice them when you are ready to bake and soak them in cold water. Alternatively, you can buy frozen lotus roots from any Asian or Indian supermarket.
• Drain out the excess water
• Coat all the slices with olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Spread the slices on a baking sheet. The sheet should have been sprayed with oil to prevent the slices from sticking.
• Bake them at 180 degree Celsius until they are brown and crisp. Some of them will brown more quickly than others depending on the thickness.