Pineapples are a sweet tropical fruit that are full of surprising health benefits. They are part of the bromeliad plant family and the only fruit producing variety.
Pineapples are actually berries, with each scale representing an individual berry around a central core. They are rich in vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes and have a wide range of health benefits.
Interesting pineapple facts
1. Immune system powerhouse 1 cup (165 g) of fresh pineapple contains 131% of your daily vitamin C intake! This powerful antioxidant is essential for strengthening the immune system and fighting cell damage.
Pineapple also reduces mucus in the nose and throat, which in combination with vitamin C is great for reducing common cold symptoms.
Antioxidant super smoothie
2. Bone and connective tissue health This sweet fruit contains nearly 75% of your daily manganese requirements, which strengthens connective tissue and bones. In combination with other nutrients, manganese is associated with reducing the risk of oesteoarthritis post-menopause.
3. Eye health The high vitamin C content reduces the risk and progression of macular degeneration.
4. Digestive health The high amount of fibre promotes good digestive health. Fascinatingly the presence of the bromelian proteins aid to break down protein, further enhancing digestive function. It is also one of the friuits you can eat if you are undertaking bowel preparation to prepare for colonoscopy.
Pineapple and pomegranate salad
5. Reducing inflammation The bromelian levels found in pineapple reduce inflammation and studies have shown it can reduce swelling, bruising, healing time and pain associated with injury and surgery. It can also reduce ear, nose and throat inflammation.
How to add pineapple into your diet Pineapples are versatile and can be eaten alone or added to fruit salads, rice dishes, pizzas, curries and kebabs. They can also be blended into smoothies or sorbets.
Pine lime mocktail
Other uses of pineapple By far the weirdest use of pineapple is to prevent dogs from eating each otherís poo. My vet recommended it! You can read about it here Natural pet deodoriser hacks.
Dogs love pineapple!
There is a lot to like about pineapple. How do you like to eat it?