Shredded Zucchini is a great way to reduce your pasta intake. Pasta is a simple carbohydrate whereas fresh zucchini offers great nutritious value being a green vegetable. When finely shredded, zucchini acts a pasta replica. Consider a medium zucchini enough for one person.
- diced tomatoes canned
- tomato paste
- chickpeas canned
- any variety of canned beans (kidney, black, mixed etc.)
- whatever spices you like (I enjoy just simply thyme, garlic salt and pepper).
1. Place canned diced tomatoes in a hot pan on high heat whilst adding half a glass of water. Once brought to the boil (bubbling), turn heat down low and allow to simmer.
2. Add spinach, onion, mushrooms (add whatever vegetables you like to this dish as it is extremely versatile). Add the canned beans and chickpeas.
3. Grate zucchinis into thin strips and place into separate bowls. This becomes the pasta substitute with the tomato acting as the sauce to mix through.
4. Add a spoonful of tomato paste once the simmering water has steamed out and you are left with a thick, great smelling tomato sauce - stir through your shredded zucchini.
This dish is incredibly easy and so healthy. I have written an incredibly simple version of this dish but you can add whatever you want to it whether that be a type of meat or vegetable.
Copyright 2012,2013,2014 On Topic Media PTY LTD. ABN 18113479226.