Here in Cairns we don't really get a winter as such. But I still love soup. So easy to put together for a healthy lunch - make one big pot and then freeze and it's even easier! And since we've just been away on holidays I really feel the need to get back to eating real, whole, nourishing food. The kind that has a few more nutrients than a McDonald's burger.
I stumbled across this soup when I was looking to make a nice chicken and corn soup. The big problem I had with my recipe was a real lack of vegetables - So I added some and this recipe was born.
I LOVED eating this soup and reckon it's one of the best I've had in a while. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 20-30 minutess
A small amount of oil for frying
Half a large onion (or 1 small - medium)
3 celery stalks
1 medium sweet potato
1 clove of garlic
1 small red chilli
1 chicken breast fillet
1 can of creamed corn
1 can of chickpeas
Coriander to serve
All the ingredients ready for prep.
1) Dice all your vegies and crush the garlic.
2) Chop the chicken into bite size pieces.
Vegies all chopped and ready.
3) Saute the vegies, garlic and chilli in a very small amount of oil until they start to cook. You could use a small amount of stock if you prefer not to use oil.
Sautéing the vegies.
4) Add the chicken and stir fry until lightly browned.
5) Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. My chicken stock was really strong so I used 500ml of stock and 500ml of water. Adjust the quantities to suit your taste and the strength of your stock.
Chicken stock and water added.
6) Add tinned chickpeas and tin of creamed corn. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
The creamed corn makes it seem less "watery" and a bit thicker.
7) Serve with a garnish of fresh coriander.
A big bowl of yum!
As with all my recipes use whatever vegies you have handy or that are growing in your garden.
Alternative garnishes could be: fresh basil or fresh spring onion.
You could also add a couple of eggs and some noodles for a more Chinese style soup.
Lovely served with gluten free toast spread with avocado.