Tacos are an awesome meal - tasty, easy, reasonably quick, versatile, gluten free and the leftovers make a great spaghetti sauce. They can be unhealthy but since we love to do 'Taco Tuesday' in our house, it is worth the effort to make a healthier version.
A taco kit is a great way to get started!
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 20mins
Serves: 4 adults and 2 toddlers with some leftovers for lunch or dinner the following day
1 Old el Paso taco kit - includes 12 shells, spice mix and sauce
Beef mince (a medium sized tray)
Approx 2 cups of mixed vegies: I used - mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, tinned corn
1 tin of lentils
Salad / extras:
Baby spinach leaves
1 tomato chopped
1 cup of chopped cucumber
All the salad and extras - YUM!
1) Spread the taco shells on a tray and preheat the oven to 180 degrees
Shells ready to go in the oven
2) Brown the mince
3) Add the vegies to the mince and stir fry for a few minutes
4) Add the taco spice and 1/4 cup of water and mix well
5) Add the lentils
The mince mix simmering on the stove
6) Pop the taco shells in the oven so they can cook while the mince mixture simmers
7) Pop all the salad ingredients on the table
8) Once everything is cooked load up your taco shell with some mince mixture and whatever extras you like plus taco sauce and enjoy!
The finished product
How my tacos are healthier than the usual tacos:
Use heart smart mince
Add plenty of vegies and lentils to the mince mixture
Use a smaller amount of mince in the taco and add extra salad