Water has long been highly regarded for its endless health benefits. From helping with weight loss to clearing headaches, water has numerous uses. Not to mention with our bodies being over 70% water, it is only natural that they require a lot of the wet stuff to keep going.
But did you know that there is a way actually to make your water better for you? A way that will help clear disease, help you lose more weight, and that will even give you more energy? This ‘super water’ is known as alkaline water, and today we are here to explore its benefits and what it’s all about!
What is alkaline water:
Alkaline water has a pH of greater than 8, which is in the alkalizing zone of the pH scale. This is usually caused by a high concentration of alkaline minerals in the water such as bicarbonates, magnesium, potassium or calcium.
Why do we need alkaline water:
There are many reasons why we need alkaline water, but ultimately they all boil down to the same thing – we need help balancing the pH of our blood stream. You see to be super healthy and run at optimal capacity; our bodies require our blood to be at perfect pH.
However daily activities such as smoking, fast foods, stress and general wear and tear cause our body to become acidic. The higher pH of alkaline water helps to balance this, keeping our bodies running at optimal level.
The benefits of alkaline water:
Now that you understand what alkaline water is, and why we need it lets take a closer look at the benefits of alkaline water and how it can help you detox.
• Increased ORP to help fight free radicals
• Reduces heartburn
• Increases energy
• Increases concentration • Decreases your risk of many diseases
• Decreases risk of cancer • Helps aid weight loss • Improved hydration
How to make alkaline water:
There are many ways to make alkaline water at home, but below are the best and easiest options…
1. pH drops – these add alkaline minerals to your water and are very convenient to carry with you.
2. Alkaline water jug – these are a great way to increase the pH of your water by removing acidic minerals and leaving the alkaline ones behind.
3. Bicarb soda & lemon – simply slice a lemon in half and let it soak in a jug of water over night in the fridge. Then in the morning at 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda and a little stevia. Squeeze the lemon juice into the water (it's alkaline forming), and you’ll have a tasty, alkaline and sugar-free lemonade.
So next time you head to the tap to grab a glass of 'safe, healthy' water, think twice and maybe add a squeeze of lemon instead!