Here's my vegetarian version of a classic Caesar salad, discovered quite by accident when I had an abundance of rocket I had to use up - you can easily make it non-vegetarian by adding real bacon. The creamy tang of the dressing combines beautifully with the peppery rocket.
Serves: 2 as a main, or 4-6 as a side salad
3 or 4 slices of bread
1 tablespoon ghee, butter or olive oil
4 rashers of mock bacon (or real bacon)
6 small cos lettuce leaves
Half cup of grated or zested parmesan
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg yolk
1 garlic clove finely grated or zested
Salt and pepper
Method 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Brush the bread lightly on both sides with your ghee/butter/olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place directly onto the oven rack.
3. Put the eggs on to boil, then slice once cooked.
4. Fry or grill your bacon til crispy then cut up into bite size pieces.
5. Wash your rocket and cos lettuce, and tear the lettuce into pieces.
6. By now your bread should be toasted and crispy - remove from oven, cool and cut or break into crouton size pieces.
6. Prepare your dressing in the salad bowl by combining all ingredients and whisking until smooth and creamy.
7. Toss the lettuce and rocket in the dressing, add the parmesan and toss again.
8. Divide salad mix onto the plates, sprinkle the bacon on top, place the egg in the middle and croutons around the outside. Add some shaved parmesan pieces (optional).